Saturday, August 8, 2015

Apple and strawberry Crumb Cake: Comforting time

My sister and her family came to stay with me for 2 weeks, ^^ well, I'm so happy that I have a lot of people to help me finish my bake good, haha.

You know that I love to bake but it's not easy to eat all of them by myself, now it's a chance as they really enjoy my products. Anyway I had to ask them what they want to eat, and this is what my sister want. She wanted to eat apple cake. And you know that I love baked apple too. The softness of it makes me feel good (it's a comfort food for me). 
But only apple cake is too simple, I want more flavour, so I add strawberry to add both fragrance and tangy sweet taste into the cake, actually you can use other kinds of berry if you like. I use Gala apple for this time (as I had it on hand), but Granny Smith is a good choice too. 
This cake is very soft, and has a soothing effect. Serving with a cup of hot tea will make you feel great!

Apple and strawberry Crumb Cake
Makes 20cm cake 


Apple strawberry filling
450g ............................ Apple, peeled, cored and cut into 2cm cubes
2tbsp ........................... Demerara sugar
1tbsp ........................... Water
150g ............................ Strawberry, fresh or frozen (if frozen do not thaw before using), cut if large.

Crumbs
80g .............................. Brown sugar
1tsp ............................. Ground cinnamon
35g .............................. Granulated sugar
40g .............................. All purpose flour
..................................... Pinch of salt
40g .............................. Unsalted butter*, cut into small pieces
20g .............................. Chopped pecans

Cake
220g ............................ All purpose flour
1/2tsp .......................... Baking soda
1tsp ............................. Baking powder
..................................... Pinch of salt
85g .............................. Unsalted butter*
140g ............................ Granulated sugar
2 .................................. Eggs
1tsp ............................. Vanilla extract
200ml .......................... Whipping cream
1tbsp ........................... Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar 
* If using salted butter, you can omit salt.


Apple strawberry filling
Put apple, sugar and water into a saucepan, place over medium heat, and bring to boil.
Reduce the heat cover and simmering for 5-10 minutes or until the apple is tender.

Remove from the heat, stir in the strawberry and set aside.

Crumbs
Put all the ingredients except the pecans, into a bowl, rub with your fingertips, until you have a crumbly texture. Stir in the pecans cover and keep in the freezer until ready to use.

Preheat an oven to 170C.
Line 20cm cake pan with baking paper (the one with removable base will be good ^^).
Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
Mix the whipping cream with  Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
Beat the butter with a pinch of salt until soften, add the sugar and beat until light in colour.
Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combine.

Pour half of the flour and fold until combine.

Pour the whipping cream mixture into the bowl, and fold to combine.

Put the rest of the flour into the bowl.

Fold to combine.

Spread 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan, and top with the filling.

Spoon the remaining batter over the filling and smooth the top.

Sprinkle with crumb mixture.
Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the skewer inserted into the middle comes out of a few crumbs.
Remove from the oven and let the cake cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan, serve warm or cold ^^.


Apple and strawberry Crumb Cake: Comforting time

2 comments:

  1. It's always nice to have people around to eat your treats, I agree :D This coffee cake looks just scrumptious, with all that fresh fruit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this crumb cake today and it was yummy, thanks for sharing the recipe. May I know how to store this cake overnight - keep refrigerated or leave at room temperature?
    Regards, Lis

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...