Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Happy daily bake: Mixed berry Crostata

Baking and cooking are still the center of my attention, haha, and yes, I spend all of my day in the kitchen (as always).

Even in UK ^^, because I stay with my sister, so I can cook and bake without problem. You may ask "What are you doing in UK?" and I can answer you that I come to have a relaxing (no working) time. Staying at home, going to the supermarket, cooking and baking, living my life without worrying about anything is what I long for, I want my life to slow down. Actually I try to live my life that way, but it's not easy when I work at home, I can't stop thinking about working! So, staying away from home is the only way for me.
I start my real vacation (ok, the shopping can be done everyday, hehe), by exploring my sister coking and baking equipment. First I wanted to making a tart (after seeing a lot of fresh fruits ^^), but she doesn't have any tart pan or tart ring, I had to change my plan.
There is a recipe called Crostata, or free form tart, it's easy to make and you don't need any equipment. You just roll the pastry in any shape. 
The fruits will be placed on the pastry, the side of the pastry is folded to help keeping the juice inside of the pastry, there is nothing more than that.
After baking you need to let the Crostata set (if you cut it immediately while it's pipping hot, the juice will be all over the pastry), and serving it with something rich such as whipped cream or clotted cream will make it the perfect dessert ^^.


Mixed berry Crostata 
Make 8 inches Crostata


120-130g ........................... All purpose flour (A)
35g ...................................... Granulated sugar (A)
1/8tsp ................................. Salt
75g ...................................... Unsalted butter
1 .......................................... Large egg
1 .......................................... Egg yolk
350g ................................... Mixed berry (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry or etc.)
2tsp .................................... Lemon juice
2tsp .................................... All purpose flour (B)
1tbsp .................................. Granulated sugar (B)
1tbsp .................................. Granulated sugar (C)

To serve
............................................. Clotted cream or sweetened whipped cream


 Make the dough: Combine all purpose flour (A), sugar (A), and salt in a large bowl, put the butter into the bowl, rub with your finger (or using a pastry cutter) until the mixture look like bread crumbs.  Form a well in center add egg and egg yolk in the well. Using your hands, mix the ingredients into a soft, pliable dough (because the all purpose flour can be different in protein contain, you may need more or less of it but keep on soft side, you don't need firm dough) . 

Cover with plastic warp and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Lightly dust the dough with flour and place it on lightly floured parchment paper, cover with plastic warp and roll it into a 9-inch circle. Place dough with parchment on a baking sheet and chill for 10 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Move the dough from the baking sheet. Place new baking paper on the baking sheet, and sprinkle lightly with flour. Remove the plastic flip the dough onto the prepared baking sheet and remove the baking paper. 

In a small bowl, mix the flour (B) and sugar (B), evenly spread the flour and sugar mixture on the dough, leaving a 1-inch-wide border around the edge. Place berries on top of the mixture and sprinkle with lemon juice. Fold the 1-inch border over top of the berries to form a 8-inch crostata. 
Sprinkle with sugar (C). Bake for 30- 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and slide crostata with the parchment paper onto a wire rack. Cool for 1 hour. Serve warm or at room temperature with clotted cream or sweetened whipped cream.


Happy daily bake: Mixed berry Crostata 

4 comments:

  1. That's a very lovely crostata. Love the mixed berries on it, so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks scrumptious! i love the colors of the berries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I love the design on this blog haha! I make a lifestyle blog too if you guys want to follow (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see u are having a good time in UK. Enjoy your vacation
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...