Sunday, June 5, 2011

Chocolate and Hazelnut cookies: Warm and Comforting chocolate cookies

 Finally I can make my decision ^^, after carrying this heavy book around with me for almost a week (well, I just weight the book, and it's 1200g, now I know why my handbag was so heavy, haha). 

The book that I talk about is ".............."  There are so many recipes that make me want to run into the kitchen but I have to start with one recipe ^^.
Then I saw this "Chocolate and Hazelnut cookies", you know I'm always crazy for chocolate (and hazelnut, it reminds me of the Nutella, haha), it's the simple but delicious combination, the one that never be wrong.
And I know that it's a right recipe for me, I started to fall in love with this recipe after toasting the hazelnuts in the oven, the smell of hazelnut is so rich. It filled the room with a wooden aroma, a warm feeling that clam me down after a hard working day. It's not hard to take the bitter skin out off the nuts after toasted them, just pouring the hot nuts over the tea towel and rub them (with the tea towel) only 5 minutes, and you will get the golden and delicious nuts as the reward for your rubbing work. Anyway don't worry about some of the skin that's too stubborn, it's OK for the cookies to have a bit of bitterness that will go well with the chocolate too.
It's not usual for me to love the cookie that others think it's sweet. But for this one, sweetness makes me feel the warm of the home baking from this cookie. The cookie is very good, and even better with a glass of milk or coffee, the sweetness and the warm of the cookie will make your face smile with joy. 



Chocolate and Hazelnut cookies
Makes about 18-20 
100g .............................. Whole hazelnuts
140g .............................. Unsalted butter, soften
80g ................................ Demerara sugar (or golden caster sugar).
80g ................................ Caster sugar
1 ..................................... Egg
1 ..................................... Egg yolk
170g .............................. Plain flour

½tsp ............................. Salt
¾tsp ............................. Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
200g .............................. Dark chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chunks)

Preheat the oven to 180 °C
Line 1 baking pan with baking paper.


Lay the whole hazelnuts in the baking pan, and toast them for about 10 minutes.
Empty the nuts into a clean tea towel and rub them together to slough off the bitter skins, then roughly chop the nuts.

Line 1-2 baking pan with baking paper.
Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda together.


 Cream the butter, salt and 2 kinds of sugar in a mixing bowl until light. Add the egg and egg yolk and mix well. 
Beat in half of the flour mixture until fully combine. Gently fold the rest of the flour mixture, chopped nuts and chocolate chips into the wet ingredients. 

 Take a generous tablespoon of the biscuit dough (dailydelicious note: I use #60 scoop) and place on one of the prepared pan. Flatten slightly, then repeat with the remaining dough, spacing the dough balls well apart as they will spread when they are baking.

Bake for 14-17 minutes or until the biscuits are pale golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. 



Chocolate and Hazelnut cookies: Warm and Comforting chocolate cookies

5 comments:

  1. Scrumptious and highly addictive cookies..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Poon,

    Is this the chewy or crunchy kind? They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious! <3 Ah, and, thank you so much for that tip on peeling hazelnuts; I remember trying to blanch hazelnuts to make a German sweet called Hazelnusscreme... and, well, I really didn't want to do it again, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried many cookie recipes, but this is by far the best. Thanks and cheers from Hungary!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...