Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Roulade Chocolat au Cointreau: There's an orange hiding in this cake!!

 Because I love to collect cookbook, I feel I need it every time that I saw it. Just last month I saw that my friend showed her new book “.......................” and I think I need that too, haha. Well, luckily the Amazon shows inside of this book and Voila! I finally know that it’s the same book as ............................ that I already had it in French ^^.

 So after getting it a long time ago (you can see in my bookshelf that I bought it in 2009) and never used single recipe in my blog, (I once tried the chocolate macaron recipe but the results is not as good as I want so I put the book back on the shelf) it can be a good time to give this book a second chance.
But after I read the recipe and instruction, I didn't want to follow it, so like I always be I made my own adaptation ^^.
I use my favorite chocolate sponge cake (well, I just mix up a lot of recipe into this one and I love it), and scale down the portion of the Cointreau cream, and chocolate cream to appropriate size.
I had to throw away the first batch of the chocolate cream because when I followed the instruction in the book, the chocolate hardened as soon as it contact with the whipping cream -*-, I tried to melt them but the whipping cream separated instead, so I had to say good bye. I made it again but this time, I mixed 50ml of the whipping cream into the melted chocolate before pouring into the whipping cream and ^^ the chocolate cream comes out perfectly and very delicious. 
The Cointreau gives this cake an orange smell and it lighten up the chocolate into a new level, Chocolate and Orange, they are always good friends. For anyone who don't drink you can use orange extract instead of the Cointreau but the quantity will be 1tsp not 1tbsp.
I know that after a lot of trial and failure, I should stop buying a lot of book -*-, but I still feel that even I can't use the recipes, the books still give me idea and inspiration ^^. It might not be reasonable for someone, haha, but it's a good reason for me and well, it's enough.
And I think that you want me to stay this way, right? So I will have a lot of new recipes to share with you.



Roulade Chocolat au Cointreau
Makes 30cm long rolled cake.

Chocolate sponge cake
70g .................................. Cake flour
15g .................................. Cocoa powder
3 ...................................... Eggs
90g ................................. Sugar
30g ................................. Unsalted butter (melted)
......................................... a pinch of salt
Simple Syrup
50g .................................. sugar 
50cc ................................. water
Cointreau syrup
50g ................................. Simple syrup
1tbsp .............................. Cointreau
la crème au Cointreau
200ml ............................. Milk
2 ...................................... Egg yolks
70g ................................. Sugar
5g ................................... Gelatin sheet
15g ................................. Corn starch
15g ................................. Plain flour
20ml .............................. Cointreau
100ml ............................ Whipping cream
la crème au chocolate
60g ................................. Dark chocolate (58% cocoa mass) chopped
250ml ............................ Whipping cream

........................................ Raspberry jam for filling
........................................ Dark chocolate for decoration

Preheat the oven to 180°C. 
Line 30x30 cm.pan with baking paper.
Using hand mixer, beat the eggs with sugar and salt (add the sugar gradually) until ribbon stage.
Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and fold to combine.
Pour the melted butter into the bowl, and fold lightly to combine, then pour the batter into the prepared pan.
 Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the top is spring lightly when touch.
While baking the cake, spray the clean table clothes with water.



 As soon as the cake came out of the oven turn the cake over the clothes, pull the baking paper off.
Roll the cake with the clothes, then let the cake cool on the wire rack.
Make the syrup:
Put the water and sugar into small saucepan and bring to boil, until all the sugar dissolved, take off the heat and let the syrup cool.

Make la crème au Cointreau:
  Bloom the gelatin in cold water.
In a small saucepan, bring the milk to a boil. In the meantime, combine the yolks, flour, corn starch and sugar  together and whisk in a heavybottomed saucepan.
Once the milk has reached a boil, temper the yolks by whisking a couple spoonfuls of the hot milk into the yolk mixture. Continue whisking and slowly pour the rest of the milk into the tempered yolk mixture.
Place the pan over medium heat and whisk vigorously (without stop) until the mixture thicken.
Squeeze the water out of the gelatin, put the gelatin into the hot mixture, stir to combine.
Wait until it has completely cooled.
Whisk cream just to soft peaks.

Mix Cointreau into custard,  Gently fold 1/3 of the cream into the custard base.
Gently fold back the the custard base and cream mixture into the cream. 

Assemble:
Unfold the cake, if some of the cake crack don't worried.
Stir the Cointreau into the syrup and brush the cake heavily.
Spread the jam over the cake, and spread the Cointreau cream over it.
Roll the cake and cover with plastic warp, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until firm.
Make the chocolate whipped cream:
 Melt the chocolate, by placing in a bowl over warm water, put 200ml of whipping cream into a chilled bowl.
When chocolate melt, stir 50ml of whipping cream into it.
Pour the chocolate and cream mixture into whipping cream and whip until soft peak formed.


Release the cake and place the cake over a piece of waxing cover the cake with chocolate whipped cream and decorate with melted dark chocolate.
Roulade Chocolat au Cointreau: 
There's an orange hiding in this cake!!

21 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! I love using Cointreau with my bakes too. It's great with cheesecake :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu are absolutely great!! What a beautiful roll cake. Big big thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a presentation... looks perfect and I bet it tastes so too (chocolate and orange make the best combination).By the way did you also make the chocolate decorations??

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOoo...your cake looks so classic! I'll give you a 5***** for this..absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. สวยงามมากคะ พรีเซนต์ได้เลิศหรูดูน่ากินมากๆคะ ขอคาราวะงามๆคะอิอิ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Nel
    Thank you, I think it's very refreshing.

    Hi, Honey boy
    Thank you.

    Hi, Pastry
    Yes I made the chocolate for decoration by myself,^^.

    Hi, Anncoo
    Thank you ^^.

    Hi, Jess
    Thank you, ^^.

    Hi, คุณยา
    ขอบคุณค่าาาาาา

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice, love to try this one. You made a beautiful roll. Pefect job. Thanks a bunch for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks really BEAUTIFUL and YUMMY!! (: (: (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. So exquisite :) 5 stars hotel standard!!! Even better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh this is definitely looks like 5 star hotel standard, looks gorgeous, pretty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone has hobbies.
    Yours is just collecting cookbooks, whereas somebody else maybe collecting stamps or shopping bags.
    Haha, don't feel bad about it.
    And please stay this way.

    I've never tasted Cointreau before.
    I have one bottle of Grand Marnier, and frankly, I can't sense a bit of orange in it. Do you have idea, by comparison, which one is stronger with orange smell? Cointreau or Grand Marnier?

    ReplyDelete
  12. it happens to me too, i have cooking books which i havent tried out a single recipe from there and yet i never regret buying that.beautiful roulade with so much effort!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful! I love this flavour combination and your decorating skills are sooo good! I can never make those fans!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg, wat an elegant roulade..stunning clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  15. the cake looks gorgeous! Pook, do you mind if I have a suggestion? I wish you show us how to make chocolate decoration?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,Secret admirer
    Thank you ^^, this roll is very easy to make, hope you will try it soon.

    Hi,The Sweetylicious
    Thank you.

    Hi, Anonymous
    Thank you.

    Hi, Jess
    Thank you.

    Hi,Wendy
    Thank you for your support, haha, I know that I can't change my habit.
    About the cointreau, it has a stronger smell and more refreshing, when the Grand Marnier has a sweeter aroma.

    Hi, Lena
    Yes, I love all my book, even some of them give me only good photo not great recipes ^^.

    Hi, Allie
    Thank you, I try my best to do it, but it still got some crack,^^".

    Hi, Priya
    Thank you

    Hi, Anonymous
    Thank you, well, I will if I can get someone to take a picture for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous cake, I am sure it taste heavenly! Nice snaps too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Pook,
    This is simply gorgeous! Makes me drool... I can only see, but cannot taste, what a waste! :p

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Quay Po cooks
    Thank you, and yes, it's very good^^.

    Hi, Passionate About Baking
    I wish I can send this one for you to taste, I think you will love it.

    Hi, DG
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...