Monday, January 3, 2011

Old Fashion Chocolate Whoopie Pies: I do believe it's classic!

 Well, I know that the whoopie pie trend is about to go but it doesn't matter at all, when you talk about the food ^^, the trend comes and goes but the delicious taste never gone.

 For me, I never made a whoppie pie before and forgot to pay attention when it's on the stage last year. I have too many things that I want to do, and I still didn't finish half of them (the fact is I never ever finished half of them in my lifetime, haha I saw, tasted, read, and dream about them, and I add up all the things that I want to do everyday -*-, I know that not many people dream about food but I can't stop!!!!!!!).
So, when I saw the recipe in.......................... I thought  maybe it's a time to give it a try ^^.
Anyway I think this one is too sweet for me, but my customer,(ok, my sister^^) really love it, I think that anyone who love the seven minutes frosting will love these version, because I piped "A LOT OF" it as a filling. And if you want to follow my sinfully Whoopie pie with a lot of white and sweet filling, just use the large amount of the ingredients and you will get enough of the filling to make the world sweeter ^^.
As I can't change my habit, I turn this one into a smaller size (the original is 6 pies, but mine is 13-14 pies, so you can see the difference), and smaller is better to convince anyone around you to try it.
These recipe is the old fashion kind of whoopie pie, now you can see a lot of variety in the market, but it can be a great idea to start with a classic one. You can pack these pie into your lunch box easily, just warp it with wax paper, and because it doesn't contain cream or buttercream so you don't have to worry about the temperature.



Old Fashion Chocolate Whoopie Pie 
Makes about 13-14 pies (8cm pie)
Dry ingredients
200g ............................... All purpose flour
30g ................................. Cocoa powder
40g ................................. Potato starch
1½tsp ............................ Baking powder
1tsp ................................ Baking soda
¾tsp .............................. Salt
Wet ingredients
¾cup ..............................Whole milk
2tbsp .............................. Honey
1tsp ................................. Vanilla extract
Creaming ingredients
115g ................................ Unsalted butter
115g ................................ Superfine granulated sugar
100g ............................... Brown sugar
1 ...................................... Egg


Seven-minute Frosting
280g /460g ............................... Superfine granulated sugar
3 /5 ............................................. Egg whites
¼tsp/3/4tsp .............................. Cream of tartar
⅛tsp/¼tsp .............................. Salt
1tsp/1½tsp ................................ Vanilla extract
1tsp/1½tsp ................................ Amaretto
1tsp/1½tsp ................................ Rum

Preheat the oven to 180°C
Line 2 baking sheet with baking paper or silicone baking mat.
Combine the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients in separate bowls. Whisk each to blend and set aside.

 Combine the butter and sugars and beat for 3 minutes on medium, add the egg, beat to combine.
 Continuing on the lowest speed, alternately add the dry and wet mixtures in 3 additions, by starting with the dry mixtures and finish with dry mixtures.
Beat until just combine (don't overworking or the final product will be chewy).
Using #40 scoop, scoop the batter onto prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until firm. The top of the cake shouldn't look wet or jiggle, and a wooden skewer inserted in the center should show just a touch of crumbs.
Let cool to the room temperature before filling it.

Make the frosting (filling):
 Bring water to a simmer in a large pan that will accommodate a mixing bowl set over it.
Combine the sugar, egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in the mixing bowl over the simmering water.
Beat with a handheld electric mixer, beginning on low speed and increasing the speed gradually to high. The meringue should form stiff peaks in about 7 minutes.
Beat in flavoring and use immediately.


Assemble:
Flip half of the cakes over so their flat side is facing up.
Pipe or smear the filling generously on the flat sides.
Top each pie with another cake half.
Old Fashion Chocolate Whoopie Pies: I do believe it's classic! 

9 comments:

  1. pook these whoopies looks gorgeous can i have a piece please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, theses are lovely..just wondering what's the texture like? is it like cookies or cake? never done this before..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to make whoopie pies, but I haven't bought any ingredients for it yet. I love how you packaged them, such a nice presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jess kitchen
    Oh!, I wish I can send it to you ^^.

    Hi, Lena
    The texture is in between, but more on a cake side than cookie.

    Hi, Esther
    Thank you ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never disappoint us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pook..
    Your whoopie pies really make me drool. One question though, what can we substitute the filling with, since you've mentioned in your posting that it's a bit too sweet. I am not a sweet-tooth kinda person. Can we just pipe some whip cream instead? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi secret admirer
    Thank you, I hope you enjoy it.

    Hi, MamaFami
    Yes you can use whipped cream instead of the seven minutes frosting, oh! I think it will be Yummy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Stefania
    Thank you, Happy New Year too ^^.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...