Sunday, January 23, 2011

Entremets Glacé "Cappuccino": You'll need Frozen Coffee!!!

I know that I have a bad habit, ^^", when someone ask me for something, I rarely say no. But it's not always a problem when coming to recipe, haha, because when the person who ask me for the recipe get the recipe that he or she wants, I have both recipe and delicious time. For this time, when Khun Kris ask me about the "Ice Cream Cake", I just couldn't say no, because I really want to make it too.

Because I got the beautiful book about "Entremets Glacé",......................... for almost 3 months and still didn't do anything about it, ^^". Actually I have to say that the recipe in this book is not for home cook, some of the ingredients are hard to obtain so, for me this book is just for the idea than the recipe. But even for the idea, I still didn't know what to do until one day that I got the request.
So, I turned each page and found the picture of something that looks like "Cappuccino" and I knew it's my answer.
Because the coffee ice cream is not hard to make and I have my favorite recipe that I make it very often, for the milk part, the vanilla semifreddo will be great both for the appearance and for the taste.
The Génoise au café is the adaptation from this book, when it's just coming out of the oven I taste it and thought that it's too bitter,but I was wrong !!! When it's cool completely, I tasted it again and the taste was so goooooood, I just couldn't stop eating the cake while cutting it, it's not dry and not hard to make too.
Like all the Entremets, it's a composition of many thing into one cake, the génoise, the coffee ice cream, and the vanilla semifreddo. It's the matter of planing that will make you happy. First preparing the coffee ice cream base, and the génoise. The next day cut the génoise and churn the ice cream because it will be easier to put it into molds while the ice cream is still soft, and make the vanilla semifreddo, because it take only 30 minutes (or less) to make. Then freeze the cakes until you ready to serve, that's all.
I show you how to make all the parts of the cake by yourself, but you can go on the easiest way by buying them ^^, there is nothing wrong to do it in a short-cut way, haha.
But if you ask me, I really love my home made ice cream cake, the vanilla semifreddo is not firm (well, it semi frozen, right? ^^), so it makes you feel like a puffy milk mousse in a frozen form, and the coffee flavor is deep, both from the ice cream and génoise, and to make it more delicious I eating it with a cup of hot coffee, well, it might be good to start your day with two forms of delicious coffee.



Entremets Glacé "Cappuccino"
Cappuccino Ice cream Cake
Makes 6 (7cm cake)

Génoise au café
140g ............................... Eggs
85g ................................. Superfine sugar
......................................... A pinch of salt
3g ................................... Cream of tartar
18g ................................. Unsalted butter (melted)
30g ................................ Cake flour
30g ................................ Bread flour
25g ................................. Almond powder
9g ................................... Instant coffee granules
Glacé au café -coffee ice cream
250ml ............................ Whole milk
3 ..................................... Egg yolks
50g ................................. Sugar
1½tbsp .......................... Light corn syrup
1½tbsp .......................... Instant coffee granules
......................................... A pinch of salt
100ml ............................. Whipping cream
Vanilla Semifreddo
30g ................................. Egg whites
70g ................................. Sugar
20g ................................. Water
300g ............................... Whipping cream
1tsp ................................. Vanilla extract
Coffee syrup 
50g ................................. Water
50g ................................. Sugar
2tbsp .............................. Kahlúa
(follow the how to make it here, and mix with Kahlúa when cool )
......................................... Cocoa powder to sprinkle over the cake 


Make the Génoise au café:

Preheat the oven to 170°C. 
Line 25x25 cm.pan with baking paper.


 Sift the cake flour, bread flour, almond powder and instant coffee granules together (if your coffee granules are big, grind them before sifting).
Stir the cream of tartar into melted butter (there will be a bit of bubble).
 Using hand mixer, beat the eggs with sugar and salt (add the sugar gradually) until ribbon stage.
Sift the flour mixture into the bowl and fold to combine.
Pour the melted butter into the bowl, and fold lightly to combine, then pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 16-18 minutes or until cake spring when touch lightly.
Take out of the oven, let the cake cool on a wire rack in a pan for 15 minutes then take the baking paper out and let the cake cool completely.
You can keep the cake by warping it with plastic warp until ready to use.



Making the coffee ice cream:



In a small saucepan, combine milk and corn syrup together, heat the milk mixture over medium heat until bubbles form around the edges of the pan.
In a saucepan, with a whisk, beat sugar and egg yolks together until smooth. Gradually add the hot milk mixture, whisk all the time to prevent the yolk to become curdle.sprinkle the instant coffee powder, and stir to combine.
Prepare the whipping cream by put it in the bowl and place the bowl on an ice bath,  set aside.
Return the yolks mixture to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon (about 85°C). Remove the pan from heat and pour the mixture through the sieve into the whipping cream. Stir to cool the mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until thoroughly chilled.

Assemble:
Cut cake into 2 layers (about 1cm each), and cut into 12 rounds
Put one layer of the cake in the each of ring molds.
Mix syrup with Kahlua, and sprinkle the cake with it.
Cover and freeze the cakes.


Transfer the ice cream base to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
When the ice cream ready, pipe into the prepared cake layers and place another cake layer on top, sprinkle again with the coffee syrup. Cover and freeze again.
Make the vanilla semifreddo:



Put the caster sugar in a pan with water, then heat very gently until it has completely dissolved. Turn up the heat and boil for 2 minutes. (Or you can use the thermometer use the syrup when it register 115°C)
As the sugar comes up to temperature, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks in a separate bowl. When the hot syrup is ready, carefully pour it into the egg whites a little at a time, with the beaters still running, whisking until it has all been mixed in. Beat for 3-4 minutes to cool, then set aside. The mix should look like shaving foam. 


Softly whip the cream and vanilla extract  in another bowl.
Fold the cream into the whites, in three goes, pipe over the top of the cake and freeze about 12 hour before serving.

Sprinkle with cocoa powder before serving, and be happy ^^.


Entremets Glacé "Cappuccino": 
You'll need Frozen Coffee!!!

10 comments:

  1. Oh this is so so wicked!!!
    I've been yearning to do some bakes with coffee, but then with 2 small girls at home, I am hesitating. My elder can take coffee, but my younger one not a bit. If not she'll not sleep soundly. Looking at this is making me droool..................... I can't bake and not let them eat. It's so cruel to them, you see. Urrrghhhh!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Wendy
    I think you should do like this. Make only one ice cream cake, and keep the rest of the Vanilla semefreddo for your little one, ^^.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the effect of the vanilla semi freddo on top!, just like cappuccino foam.. slurrpss

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am baking a birthday coffee cake, this looks extremely nice but seem complicated :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's really kind and helpful for such a detailed explanation. If i were to make this, very likely i will use store bought ice cream which definately cant beat the flavour of homemade ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My jaw dropped when I saw this. Really, it looks amazing! Oh, if only it weren't almost 9pm. This seems like the kind of thing I might regret eating right before bed.

    If you have a chance this weekend, I'd LOVE for you to link this up to my Not "Baaad" blog hop. There is a competition for the best post and I bet this would be a sure winner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this but look a bit complicated to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally getting inspired and thank you for including the step-by-step photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Pook: I would like to ask for your permission to use this recipe for my hosting a baking challange in the F&B sub-boc of www.webtretho.com - a website for mothers in Vietnam. If allowed, I'll definitely indicate the source and link to your blog. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Mẹ Cáo ^^
    You can use it, hope all of your member will be happy with my recipe.
    Pook

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...