Monday, June 2, 2008

Deeply satisfied chocolate tart

This tart is really good esp. for anyone who fall in love with really dark chocolate (aha, I am, I really like dark chocolate and this tart is like dark chocolate in a tart form). I have to warn any people who don’t have a great love for dark chocolate, stay away from this one, because you may find this tart is too bitter for you sweet tooth, cause the main flavor of the tart came from 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate (very intense and pleased). The recipe is an adaptation form...........by .....one of my dearest chef, and I think after you taste this deeply dark chocolate tart you may agree with me.

Fifteen chocolate tart
makes 2 tarts (size 18cm)



For the pastry

110 g
unsalted butter
75 g
caster sugar

a pinch of salt
190 g
plain flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
1
large free-range or organic eggs
20 g
cocoa powder

For the filling

70 ml
whole milk
190 ml
double cream
20 g
caster sugar
120 g
best-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
1
large free-range or organic eggs
Grease a loose-bottomed 18 cm X 2 tart pans tin with butter.
Sift the flour and cocoa powder together.
To make the pastry:


Cream the butter, sugar and salt, together then fold in eggs and the flour- cocoa powder mixture.
When the mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs, gently work it together until you have a ball of dough, then flour it lightly.
Wrap the dough in cling film and put it in the fridge for at least an hour.


Remove it from the fridge, roll it out, line your tart tin with it and put it in the freezer for half an hour.


Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and bake the pastry case blind for around 12 to 15 minutes or until firm and almost biscuit-like.
Remove from the oven and turn the heat down to 170°C/325°F/gas 3.
To make the chocolate filling:


Put the milk, cream and sugar into a saucepan and slowly bring to the boil, stirring gently. Take off the heat and add the broken chocolate, whisking until smooth, then add the eggs and whisk again. Pour the filling into a jug.
Carefully pour in the filling into the baked tart case and put the tart back in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. It is cooked when the filling still has a slight wobble to it. It will firm up a little as it cools down.

18 comments:

  1. I'm only up to rolling the pastry out but it's not like pastry. It's gooey and i can't lift it to place in the pan. any idea's what i may have done wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam
    The problem can come from the air when you beat the butter and the size of the egg.
    Refrigerate it until it cool enough and add more flour,^^.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello..today i tried this resipe..the pastry turn really nice..but i think my tart to thick then i need to baked about 35 minutes,my tart pan 18'cm..but yours look so nice..or maybe the dough must divide into 2? thanks..all your resipe really great,i wish i can try 1 by 1..dreaming..but this coming Valentine i will try your Frozen Tiramisu for my Hubby,wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, ariyani
    I'm sorry that I didn't write it clearly, this recipe will make 2, 18cm tart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Can I make and chill the dough a day or 2 in advance and bake it on the next day? And if I'm using 55% chocolate, do I reduce the 20g of sugar for the filling to avoid it being too sweet?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Lyn
    You can make the dough in advance.
    For the filling, reduce only 10g will be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    If I want to use 9 inch pan tart how long must I bake for the choc filling to be done? How to test if its cooked?

    Thanks!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. you may need to cook it for 20-25 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi~ I don't have any loose bottom tart pan in hand. Will it be all right if I use my egg tarts tin (no loose bottom )? I am also a bit worry whether it might be difficult to remove the tart after baked . And how long should I bake small tarts ? Should I reduce temperature also? Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Serene
    You can use that one, the tart is firm enough to be removed from the tart pan (but line the bottom of the tart pan with baking paper will help too).

    You need to bake blind the tart shell for 8-10 minutes, and bake the tart with the filling for 8-10 minutes too, but you don't have to reduce the temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi i just tried this recipe today! and it taste awesome! thank you for this great recipe! (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi should I store the leftover baked tart in the fridge or can I leave it outside? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. It will be better to keep it in the fridge, but don't keep it too long or the filling will dry out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It will be better to keep it in the fridge, but don't keep it too long or the filling will dry out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you roll your dough in an air conditioned room? my dough tends to fall apart soon after i rolled it out, making it a mess when transferring to the tart pan. I am not sure if it is caused by the warm weather, i currently live in Bangkok Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It can come from too much air in the pastry ^^, you need to beat it until light as making the cookies, plus the egg is not too large (about 55g). I make it in air conditioned room so it quite cool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can I use whipping cream instead of double cream?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, you can use whipping cream ^^.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...