Thursday, June 12, 2008

CHOCOLATE AND LEMON MACARONS OR MACAROONS

Name can be confusing, but the look is different. I have to admit that I just start making Macarons for a week, and it’s quite fun to make. I have learned the key to make this little French cookie from my friend Kam (its_gemmi) and Jeab (J-Nap) (both of them are in Thai language). They really help me with their clear picture and instruction, and Voilà, I can make it too.


My First Macarons

My first macarons is a surprise for me, I can make it and feel so much thankful for both of then, but I find the macorons are too sweet for me. So, now I try to find different recipe, that will suitable for my taste. Then the recipe is coming (ok, I bought it) from Vogue Entertaining and Travel June/July Issue, what a good idea to have a tangy filling to balance with the sweet cookies. But I can’t help but make some adjustment here and there to suite my taste and ingredients on hand. And the result is a tangy and chocolate macaron which I hope you will like it too.

CHOCOLATE AND LEMON MACARONS OR MACAROONS

MAKES ABOUT 30 ‘SANDWICHES’


For the macarons




110 g

icing sugar

65 g

ground almonds (or sliced almond*)

13 g

Dutch cocoa

60 g

egg whites, at room temperature

20 g

caster sugar


Pinch of cream of tartar



For lemon filling




120 g

Cream cheese

1 tbsp

lemon juice

2 tbsp

icing sugar

1 tbsp

Whipping cream


Finely grated zest of 1 lemons



Sift icing sugar, almonds and cocoa through a fine sieve, pushing mixture through with a wooden spoon; this will help to make a smooth macaron.



* If using sliced almond: Place the almond, icing sugar and cocoa powder in a food processor and process until the mixture fine as flour (about 3-5 minutes). When the almonds are ground, using a wooden spoon, press the mixture through a medium strainer.


Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar whisk to combine and caster sugar, a little at a time until using all, and whisk to firm soft peaks.


Stir in almond mixture; in three or four additions. When all the dry ingredients are incorporated; the mixture will look like a cake batter.

Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm nozzle. Pipe or spoon mixture into 2.5cm rounds onto baking paper-lined (or Silpat) oven trays. When you’ve pipe out all the macarons lift each baking sheet with both hands and then bang it down on the counter (you need to get the air out of the batter).

Set aside for 1 hour. After 1 hour the top of the macarons will be dry, and ready to bake.

Preheat oven to 150°C. Bake for 15 minutes (baking time can be varied, from 10-15 up to your oven) or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and cool on trays. Slide a knife under each macaroon to release from paper. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or until ready to assemble.

For filling, sift the icing sugar and whisk icing sugar, zest, juice cream and cream cheese until combined.


Sandwich macarons with filling.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour for filling to firm.



Adaptation from: Vogue Entertaining and Travel June/July Issue

7 comments:

  1. I've been dying to make macarons ever since I first saw how pretty they were. I just recently tasted one on vacation so now I need to make them. The one I had was also too sweet. Your instructions are very helpful! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried making macarons a few time but never successful. It went flat on me. Thanks for the step by step visual on making it. I am going to try making this again. By the way I really love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the first time I see the association of lemon and chocolate in a macaroon, I'm sure it must be delicious !
    Thanks for sharing :)
    Andréa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have problem with my macaron, it will not dry and form a skin after leaving out for more than 1 hr. I have tried to both at room temp and in air conditioned room for more than 1hr.. It's still slightly wet... I did not overmixed the batter... Pls advise if u have left ur Macarons in room temp as the weather here is hot and humid.. Pls help. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually one of my friend have to wait for 4 hours until her macaron become dry ^^", for mine if I put them in room temp it will be 2-2.30, but it will be shorter in air conditioned room about 1-1.30.
    Well, if you dry the almond meal (almond powder), it will help reducing the moisture from your macaron, and the drying time will be shorter too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for ur reply.
    Btw, may I check if U've separated the egg white first and leave to room temp? How long does it take? For me I left my whole egg to be at room temp first before I separated it.. And also if I'm making non-chocolate macaron, do I substitute the 13g of coco powder back to ground almond to be 78g? Thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mostly I separate the egg and rest them at room temperature for 2-3 days (or using the one that I keep in the fridge for months ^^).
    Yes, you can use ground almond instead of the cocoa powder for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...